POETRY OF THE WILD
Poetry of the Wild (POW), which was first organized in 2011 during Mystic Art Center’s Outdoor Sculpture exhibit, is a collaboration of the Mystic Arts Center, The Alexey von Schlippe Gallery of Art at UConn Avery Point and Expressiones Cultural Center in New London. POW was designed by Ana Flores, an ecological designer and sculptor who has toured nationally with this unique project.
The project is funded in part by the CT Commission of Arts and Tourism in partnership with the Mystic Arts Center, Expressiones Cultural Center in New London, the Alexey von Schlippe Gallery of Art at UConn Avery Point and the Public Library of New London.
Poetry of the Wild is a participatory environmental art project connecting people to landscape by combining poetry, visual art, and nature observation.
POW culminates in two final showings in 2013 on the Sculpture Path at UConn Avery Point in Groton and again at Mystic Arts Center during its centennial celebration in 2013.
Poetry of the Wild / Mystic
On June 15, eleven poetry boxes were installed throughout the town of Mystic for the Poetry of the Wild / Mystic Installation. This will be the last stop of Poetry of the Wild in its tour through southeastern Connecticut. The Mystic installation features entirely the voices of local poets; many of the makers of the boxes also did their own poems, included is a prolific young poet, Lucy Turner. Lucy is only ten years old and one of triplets.
Seeking out the poetry boxes will encourage walkers to explore the town inside and out, seeing it through the perspectives of poets and artists who know it intimately. Along the way, one will discover favorite local haunts: the Bank Square Bookstore, the popular ice cream store on the bridge, a river walk behind the Mystic Arts Center, the Mystic Seaport, as well as refuges just outside the town limits. These refuges include: The Peace Sanctuary, overlooking the Mystic River, the Dennison Homestead, and Haley Farm.
The installation will continue through August 30. for For more information call the Mystic Arts Center at: 860. 536.7601 or visit https://www.facebook.com/PoetryoftheWild.
List of Sites
1. Mystic Seaport, Poem: Joanie DiMartino, Box: Jon Day, Location: Visitor Overlook, next to the Maritime Art Gallery (no admission required)
2. Mystic Noank Library, Poem: Carol Watson, Box: Carol and Steve Watson, Location: By outdoor bench
3. The Mystic Drawbrige Ice Cream, Poem and box: Michael Gore, Location: Inside shop
4. Ender’s Island, Poem and box: Helen Kane, Location: By Seaside Chapel
5. The High Street Gallery/Studio, Poems and Box: Sadie Davidson DeVore, Location: 137 High Street
6. Mystic Arts Center, Poem and box: Dan Potter, Location: Old tree with hollow
7. Mystic Arts Center, Poem: Lucy Turner, Box: Turner Family , Location: Along river walk
8. Bank Square Books, Poem and box: Mili Ebbin, Location: Inside store
9. Denison Homestead, Haiku and box: Sally Motycka , Location: Garden with large shell fountain
10. Haley Farm, Poem: Lili Kane, Box: Syma Ebbin, Michael Kane, Location: By edge of pond
11. The Peace Sanctuary, Poem and box: Sean Kane, Location: Entrance to park